Legal Director (Construction)
AED60000 - 70000 / annum
- My client is a leading global Construction company who are a household name. Due to an internal promotion they are looking to recruit a Legal Director covering the GCC, this is a fantastic opportunity to work for a truly global player in their field.
- As a Legal Director you will the drive legal strategy, both operational as governance, for the businesses in the Middle East (UAE, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Qatar).
- A typical day at work will be difficult to describe because of its diversity but has always one common element: the permanent focus on the selling side of the business while protecting the company's interest and good governance.
- The role comes with much responsibility and some degree of client contact but most importantly a pro-activity towards the business as part of the growth and innovation strategy.
- You will be negotiating and drafting contracts of all sorts, advising on disputes, handling complex projects, business development activities, streamlining and automating legal processes and assisting with the ongoing training and development of non-legally skilled business colleagues.
- On the governance side, you will keep oversight of the corporate secretarial and be closely involved in compliance work, partially handled by specialists with whom you will be working very closely.
- Also, as a member of the Middle East senior leadership you will be involved in both strategic decision making and day-to-day operational affairs.
- You will not do this alone: you will have the support of a 2-person legal team: a legal counsel and a compliance specialist. All of that against a motivating and attractive remuneration package in accordance with your seniority and experience
- Talented, motivated lawyer who is used to juggling a busy and demanding business workload and a compliance agenda;
- You should have 8 - 10 years of broad operational legal experience, in particular in the Middle East construction market, ideally gained at a reputable firm and/or in a major corporation;
- Experience in dealing with construction (contentious and non-contentious) matters: from high-profile complex projects to "flow" transactions; Sub-contracting; (pre)litigation and dispute resolution;
- Fluent English; Arabic will be a distinct advantage but not mandatory;
- Familiarity with business practices and cultures in the Middle East, and with a strong corporate compliance culture of a major corporation (e.g. anti-corruption, international trade, investigations);
- Strong academics and an ability to demonstrate a commitment to working in the Middle East region for at least the medium term and willingness to travel across the region;
- Growth oriented, pro-active and pragmatic mindset and approach;
- Skills to drive change and innovation, also in the legal function;
- A true communicator (oral, written) and team player with a good sense of humor.
- In order to be considered for this role, you will already be operating at a mid-level in your current role but ready for the next level; Candidates already on the ground in the region will have an advantage.
Salary & Benefits
- 60,000 - 70,000aed per month dependent on experience