Engineering Manager - Live Video Streaming
Post Date : 30 October 2016
Seasoned technology professional who can use their experience to build effective organizations, scalable processes, and mentor aspiring leadership talent to scale. The person should be entrepreneurial and hands-on in technology.
- Major contribution to planning, road-mapping, organizational development and resourcing for your team to execute on their priorities.
- Attracting, hiring, retaining and developing top-notch engineering talent
- Implementation of technology projects and product requirements.
- Day-to-day Technology decision making, guiding team members and leading execution.
- Long-term management of and skills development for your team
- Ensuring timely delivery of projects
- Representing your team to senior leadership and across other groups and teams within the company
- Setting standards and applying best practices to improve engineering processes and the delivery of quality products
Experience & Background Requirements
- 8+ years of prior experience in shipping quality scalable and extensible software as a top-notch Senior Engineer or Architect.
- 5+ years as a proven leader, managing a team and/or scaling an organization with a high standard of excellence. Good people management and project management skills.
- Proven ability to work through organizations and teams with very strong communication and cross-functional collaboration skills. High technology capability and expertise.
- Innate ability to connect the dots, communicate and iterate on team, business and larger company goals.
- Ability to handle complex/challenging environments and vague/changing requirements.
- Experienced in Scrum and Agile model of management.
- Experienced in startup environment
- Knowledge of new and experimental technologies and experience working in complex research projects, including AI, Machine Learning, Analytics and Data-Science projects.
- Experience with mobile applications, web platforms, and web applications development
Further Pointers (Live Video Streaming Technology) Backend EM:
We need an EM for leading Server Side Technology Development (Backend Engineering) for a Live Video Broadcasting and Conferencing Application.
- The backend system (server side) of the application will provide Live Video Streaming facilities/services to mobile apps (Android and iOS Apps), in addition to the various other APIs / User-Profile related web-services.
- The relevant person should have experience working with Media Servers and on Live Media Streaming Technology and protocols. Should have experience working on Red5Pro or Wowza or Videomost, or the like (other products/technologies similar to these). Should have knowledge of and experience in Adaptive Bitrate Streaming protocols, HLS, RTMP/RTP, HDS, MPEG-DASH, H.264, HEVC, VP8/VP9, etc.
- The person should have ideally worked with live broadcasting applications / scenarios (like Facebook Live), and with video streaming (like YouTube), and with live (multi-party) conferencing technology (like Skype or Google Hangouts). So, the right candidate would have experience working with video streaming technology (live and recorded videos) for 1-to-1, 1-to-many, and many-to-many scenarios (of connecting users).
- The candidate should have worked with one of the top companies, or, on one of the top products, in the space/domain of Live Video Broadcasting / Conferencing / Live Streaming, like Skype (Microsoft), Periscope, Hang with, Google Hangouts & Google Duo, YouTube (particularly YouTube Now & YouTube Live), IMO, Facebook Live, YouNow, Zoom, etc.
- The person should have great Engineering and Problem Solving skills.
- The candidate should be able to understand and work on Scalability, Performance enhancement, Optimization (at various levels - application level, OS level, hardware level, system level, network level, device drive level), and should be able to deliver consistent high Quality video streaming experience to the end users.
- The person should have 8-12 years of experience working with backend technologies (particularly, should have experience working with Java and Java-based technologies), and creating web-services and media services, and leading a team of top notch engineers in implementing server-side solutions for various high QPS (Queries per sec) products.
- The person should have worked on performance optimization and scaling the backend system (server side system) to 10K or 50K QPS (or RPS - Requests per second) system, which is highly scalable and can support high volumes of users and requests.
- The person should have an engineering education/degree from a top technology institute or university, and should have good communication and coordination skills, and should be hands-on in technology (should be able to roll-up sleeves and code, when needed).
- The person should have good leadership skills and should be a team player. The person should be able to create a great vision for the product and technology, and should be able to drive that vision to success. The person should have high standards of excellence.
- The person should be able to manage multiple tasks and projects in parallel. Should have good time management skills. Should be able to deal with uncertainty and ambiguity. Should be able to create inroads into the problem/solution even if there is vagueness (or less clarity) in the problem statement.
Gate Village 1, Level 1